Can they overcome the product limitations of blockchain and deliver the world-class experience that consumers expect?submitted by mickhagen to genesisblockhq [link] [comments]
This is the second part of Crypto Banking Wars — a new series that examines what crypto-native company is most likely to become the bank of the future. Who is best positioned to reach mainstream adoption in consumer finance?
While crypto allows the world to get rid of banks, a bank will still very much be necessary for this very powerful technology to reach the masses. As we laid out in our previous series, Crypto-Powered, we believe companies that build with blockchain at their core will have the best shot at winning the broader consumer finance market. We hope it will be us at Genesis Block, but we aren’t the only game in town.
So this series explores the entire crypto landscape and tries to answer the question, which crypto company is most likely to become the bank of the future?
In our last episode, we offered an in-depth analysis of big crypto exchanges like Coinbase & Binance. Today we’re analyzing non-custodial crypto wallets. These are products where only the user can touch or move funds. Not even the company or developer who built the application can access, control, or stop funds from being moved. These apps allow users to truly become their own bank.
We’ve talked a little about this before. This group of companies is nowhere near the same level of threat as the biggest crypto exchanges. However, this group really understands DeFi and the magic it can bring. This class of products is heavily engineer-driven and at the bleeding-edge of DeFi innovation. These products are certainly worth discussing. Okay, let’s dive in.
Users & AudienceThese non-custodial crypto wallets are especially popular among the most hardcore blockchain nerds and crypto cypherpunks.
“Not your keys, not your coins.”This meme is endlessly repeated among longtime crypto hodlers. If you’re not in complete control of your crypto (i.e. using non-custodial wallets), then it’s not really your crypto. There has always been a close connection between libertarianism & cryptocurrency. This type of user wants to be in absolute control of their money and become their own bank.
In addition to the experienced crypto geeks, for some people, these products will mean the difference between life and death. Imagine a refugee family that wants to safely protect their years of hard work — their life savings — as they travel across borders. Carrying cash could put their safety or money at risk. A few years ago I spent time in Greece at refugee camps — I know first-hand this is a real use-case.
Or imagine a family living under an authoritarian regime — afraid that their corrupt or oppressive government will seize their assets (or devalue their savings via hyperinflation). Citizens in these countries cannot risk putting their money in centralized banks or under their mattresses. They must become their own bank.
These are the common use-cases and users for non-custodial wallets.
Products in MarketLet’s do a quick round-up of some of the more popular products already in the market.
Web/Desktop The most popular web wallet is MetaMask. Though it doesn’t have any specific integration with DeFi protocols yet, it has more than a million users (which is a lot in crypto land!). Web wallets that are more deeply integrated with DeFi include InstaDapp, Zerion, DeFi Saver, Zapper, and MyCrypto (disclosure: I’m an investor and a big fan of Taylor). For the mass market, mobile will be a much more important form-factor. I don’t view these web products as much of a threat to Genesis Block.
Mobile The more serious threats to Genesis Block are the mobile products that (A) are leveraging some of the powerful DeFi protocols and (B) abstracting away a lot of the blockchain/DeFi UX complexity. While none get close to us on (B), the products attempting this are Argent and Dharma. To the extent they can, both are trying to make interacting with blockchain technology as simple as possible.
A few of the bigger exchanges have also entered this mobile non-custodial market. Coinbase has Wallet (via Cipher Browser acquisition). Binance has Trust Wallet (also via acquisition). And speaking of acquisitions, MyCrypto acquired Ambo, which is a solid product and has brought MyCrypto into the mobile space. Others worth mentioning include Rainbow — well-designed and built by a small indy-team with strong DeFi experience (former Balance team). And ZenGo which has a cool feature around keyless security (their CEO is a friend).
There are dozens of other mobile crypto wallets that do very little beyond showing your balances. They are not serious threats.
Hardware Wallets Holding crypto on your own hardware wallet is widely considered to be “best practice” from a security standpoint. The most popular hardware wallets are Ledger, Trezor, and KeepKey (by our friends at ShapeShift). Ledger Nano X is the only product that has Bluetooth — thus, the only one that can connect to a mobile app. While exciting and innovative, these hardware wallets are not yet integrated with any DeFi protocols.
StrengthsLet’s take a look at some of the strengths with non-custodial products.
WeaknessesNow let’s examine some of the weaknesses.
Wrap UpOne of the great powers of crypto is that we no longer depend on banks. Anyone can store their wealth and have absolute control of their money. That’s made possible with these non-custodial wallets. It’s a wonderful thing.
I believe that the most knowledgeable and experienced crypto people (including myself) will always be active users of these applications. And as mentioned in this post, there will certainly be circumstances where these apps will be essential & even life-saving.
However, I do not believe this category of product is a major threat to Genesis Block to becoming the bank of the future.They won’t win in the broader consumer finance market — mostly because I don’t believe that’s their target audience. These applications simply cannot produce the type of product experience that the masses require, want, or expect. The Weaknesses I’ve outlined above are just too overwhelming. The friction for mass-market consumers is just too much.
The winning bank will be focused on solving real user problems and meeting user needs. Not slowed down by rigid idealism like censorship-resistance and absolute decentralization, as it is with most non-custodial wallets. The winning bank will be a world-class product that’s smooth, performant, and accessible. Not sluggish and slow, as it is with most non-custodial wallets. The winning bank will be one where blockchain & crypto is mostly invisible to end-users. Not front-and-center as it is with non-custodial wallets. The winning bank will be one managed and run by professionals who know exactly what they’re doing. Not DIY (Do It Yourself), as it is with non-custodial wallets.
So are these non-custodial wallets a threat to Genesis Block in winning the broader consumer finance market, and becoming the bank of the future?
No. They are designed for a very different audience.
Other Ways to Consume Today's Episode:
Download the app. We're a digital bank that's powered by crypto: https://genesisblock.com/download
Me: "What do you think of Bitcoin?"You've all likely met someone like this and brushed them off as closed-mined, but they're exactly the type of person this industry needs to convince to further adoption. It will be next to impossible to do so with the way things are right now.
Co-worker: "Didn't that thing get hacked last week?"
Me: "Bitcoin didn't, but a place where it was exchanged was."
Co-worker: "I don't trust it. It's only a matter of time til they find out how to type in some numbers to make more show up on a screen blah blah blah."
We present to you the report filed by the analysts of our private club for October 22–28.submitted by Golden_Island_Club to u/Golden_Island_Club [link] [comments]
Main market events for October 22–28, 2018
1) Bakkt will be launched on December 12 if the regulators grant the permission.
2) Internal sources of the CBOE exchange claim that approval of Bitcoin ETF is inevitable. According to the SEC, VanEck, SolidX and CBOE resolved all the issues and it is only a matter of time before the new asset class is approved.
3) The Department of Financial Services (DFS) of New York has permitted Coinbase to develop Custody. The Bank of Japan admits that the bank may lose a lot of influence due to emergence of cryptocurrencies. $500m worth of USDT have been destroyed (burned) by Tether.
4) The Central Election Commission of Russia supported the initiative of the Party of Growth to run elections in Russia on blockchain, which would prevent doctoring of the results.
5) In June 2019, the Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering (FATF) will start publishing its standards for international regulation of cryptocurrencies.
6) The British audit and consulting company Ernst & Young (EY) conducted a study on the efficiency of 110 ICO projects: only 1 out of 10 tokens managed to bring profit to their owners.
7) Constantinople — the hard fork of Ethereum network — is delayed until the beginning of 2019. The developers made this decision after discovering several bugs when launching the update in the test network.
8) Visa will launch a digital identification system on the B2B Connect blockchain in early 2019. The system would tokenize private information that ensures secure international transactions.
9) The Swiss online bank Swissquote now enables purchasing ICO tokens. You can buy them through an online bank account. Acquired tokens will be stored in a special wallet.
10) HTC has presented the first iteration of the blockchain smartphone Exodus 1 in Berlin. The smartphone is expected to go on sale in 34 countries this December. The device will cost 0.15 BTC or 4.78 ETH.
11) Blockchain platform for distributing video content TaTaTu, which raised $585 million during the ICO, signed an agreement with Johnny Depp. The actor’s film company Infinitum Nihil would produce movies and digital content for TaTaTu.
12) Chairman of the State Duma Committee on the Financial Market Anatoly Aksakov explained that absence of the concepts of “mining” and “bitcoin” in the draft law “On digital financial assets” hints to a “sad” future for cryptocurrencies.
13) The Japan Association of Virtual Currency Exchanges (JVCEA) received the right to self-regulation from the country’s main regulator, the Japan Financial Services Agency (FSA).
14) The Taiwan Financial Supervision Commission will simplify the procedure for launching ICOs in the country and fully legalize them.
15) Tether Limited burned 500 million USDT tokens. The company once again noted that any USDT owner could redeem their tokens with real US dollars that secure the cryptocurrency.
16) The branch of the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission in Shenzhen decreed that the ownership of bitcoins in China should be considered legal.
17) The Ministry of Finance prohibited the British Royal Mint to issue the Royal Mint Gold (RMG) cryptocurrency, backed by gold.
18) Ripple published a financial report for the third quarter of 2018: sales of XRP tokens increased more than twofold and generated revenue of $163.33 million.
19) While the major stock indexes collapsed, Bitcoin continued to stand its ground. This refutes the widespread claims that the price of Bitcoin correlates with traditional finances. It’s worth noting that the current collapse of the US stock market is one of the biggest in recent years. The fall in the Nasdaq technology index, which dropped by 4.43% over the day, was especially disheartening. This is the biggest fall since August 2011.
20) The number of Google search requests for the word “Bitcoin” decreased by 93% compared to last December. This is quite natural, because back then the price of Bitcoin reached its peak.
2. Market analysis from club experts for October 22–28, 2018
The last week was hardly surprising for crypto traders and investors. Volatility, pumps/dumps, despair and enthusiasm — all the usual stuff.
Compared to the stock market though, the waves of the crypto market begin to look pale sometimes. The total capitalization remained in the $208–211 billion corridor for the entire week, despite the worries.
Trading volumes were also fairly stable: $9–11 billion. BTC dominated the market at 54% without deviations, although the Altcoins performed very good.
In the end of the week, the price for 1 BTC remained the same: $6480 on Monday and Sunday, though it fluctuated between $6380 and $6540 ($6478 at the time of the report) during the week.
However, the last week showed a strong growth of a number of coins, despite the price of BTC, and many coins skyrocketed from the levels below TOP100 CMC. Last week the stock market experienced a rather sharp fall, and according to reports, a number of stocks have incomparably higher volatility than many coins from TOP100.
The general sentiment makes it clear that cryptographic market is gaining increasingly more attention of institutional traders and very soon trading instruments will be available through a single terminal in any market.
In the meantime, the blockchain technology and cryptocurrency are gaining momentum in the world, and that’s great! Though some cypherpunks are not happy about this!
3. Changes in the cost and capitalization of the TOP-10 cryptocurrencies in the period of October 22–28, 2018
4. TOP-3 growing coins from the long-term portfolio for October 22–28, 2018 (including portfolio updates) The fastest growing portfolio coins: IOTeX + 50% (), Neblio NEBL + 40% (), Decred DCR + 15% (listing on Binance). The worst performing coin is Mysterium MYST -28% — correction of the growth during the last week.
Want to be the first to receive news, updates from analysts and trade signals? Join @gitsupport channel and start earning with us!
Cypherpunks Taiwan page on Github provides even more details of the entire process. Currently, running a Bitcoin node via satellite is not so difficult especially as the blockchain reaches slowly the size of 240GB in size. This means that if you have the need you can easily tap into bitcoin for free for 24 hours a day thanks to the coverage from the Blockstream satellite. Frank Braun and The Real Smuggler explained recently to news.Bitcoin.com their reasons for starting the Cypherpunk Bitstream podcast, as well as their individual journeys to becoming cypherpunks. Bitcoin’s price keeps climbing amid election uncertainty. A Russia power provider looks to crypto mining. Coinbase eyes Japan. There has been much ado made recently over supposed seasonal mining fluctuations on the Bitcoin network. The narrative goes that, as the rainy season in China comes to a halt around the August to October timeframe each year, cheap and abundant hydroelectricity dries up. This forces many inefficient late-model miners to shut off or move… More The post How Do Seasonal Fluctuations Really ... Bitcoin2Go Wissen – Kryptowährungen von A-Z. Wissen ist Macht. Genau nach dieser Prämisse ist unser Bitcoin2Go Wissen aufgebaut. Dieser Bereich und unser Glossar sollen dazu dienen Anfängern und Fortgeschrittenen die wichtigsten Dinge über Bitcoin, das Netzwerk, die Technologie, die Ökonomie und vieles weitere zu vermitteln. Therefore, there is the Bitcoin mining difficulty. With increasing hash rate also the degree of difficulty rises. All 2016 blocks (about every two weeks) therefore change the Bitcoin mining difficulty. If the block time is less than 10 minutes and the hash rate is high, the level of difficulty is adjusted upwards to comply with the 10 minute rule.
[index]          
This is an educational video on bitcoin mining of binance pool and not a financial advice. #Binance #BinancePool #Binance pool If you want to sign up to Bina... This is an educational video on Bitcoin mining of Binance Pool, I hope you'll enjoy it . If this video has helped answer some of your questions about binance... Should you buy a pre-built btc cryptocurrency mining rig? The answer depends, lets review the Coinmine One and discuss the status of gpu mining in 2019 and t... #Binance #Bitcoin #XRP #Crypto #CBDC #Ripple #Coinmarketcap Interview with Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao (CZ). We discuss: - CZ's background, crypto portfolio, not investing in Ethereum - Binance ... 🔥 Get the Ledger Nano X to Safely store your Crypto - https://www.ledgerwallet.com/r/acd6 🔥 Become a Channel Member - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjpkws... Binance Tutorial deutsch In diesem Video erfährst du wie man auf der Plattform Binance Kryptowährungen handeln kann und gegen Bitcoins kaufen und verkaufen k...